High School --> FAFSA


Not having the money to go to college should not prevent you from pursuing a college education. The US Department of Education provides Federal Student Aid to help families pay for their children’s college education.  It is FREE to apply and the easiest way is to do it online at www.fafsa.ed.gov/. The application is called FAFSA (Free Application forFederal Student Aid).  The amount of aid you receive is based on the cost of your education and how much your family is able to afford.  All this will be determined from the information you provide on your FAFSA.

Once the amount of aid has been determined, you will be awarded your aid in one or more of the following ways:

  • Grants & Scholarships - This is FREE money that you do not have to pay back.
  • Work Study - It is like any other job except that students, like you, must find a job on your college campus.  The paycheck that you receive is your aid.  Departments will be more willing to hire you because the funds to pay you comes from the Federal government.
  • Loans - Aids you receive from loans will need to be paid back (at a low interest rate)  as soon as you graduate from college.

For both high school seniors and college students, you may start applying between January 1 to June 30.  Priority deadline is March 1. 

When you sign the FAFSA, you need your social security number. If you are a dependent student, then you will need your parent's social security number also. You will also need the previous years' W-2 forms (or any information that states you earned money), yours (if applicable) and your parent's Federal Income Tax Return.

We highly recommend you apply for the FAFSA even if you think that you may not qualify for it. You will lose nothing because it's FREE!

More information can be found on www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Middle School

High School

College Years